What is the Five-Star Competitive Edge?
It is our first step in becoming a better chapter, and growing us as leaders!
The Five Star Competitive Edge is Phi Theta Kappa’s exclusive online professional development plan designed just for you to practice and strengthen your soft skills.
Communication, critical thinking, interpersonal skills, and professional etiquette are important traits to master no matter what career you’ve chosen. A college degree doesn’t always guarantee you’ll have the soft skills employers expect. That’s where Phi Theta Kappa's Five Star Competitive
Edge can help!
They are waiting for you at GetAnEdge.ptk.org.
While gaining skills you’ll need for success in college and the workplace, you’ll also distinguish
yourself as a Five Star Member of Phi Theta Kappa. Instead of only listing “Phi Theta Kappa
Member” on your resume , your designation as a Five Star Member shows hiring managers,
scholarship judges and admissions officers that you took the initiative to improve your marketable
skills as a scholar and a leader.
Five Star Members Will:
● Create a Career Development Plan identifying steps necessary to make their dream career a
● Compile a scholarship and/or job resume to use immediately for scholarship applications
and/or job interviews
● Use critical thinking skills to develop an Honors Case Study
● Examine their leadership style and emotional intelligence
● Learn tips to better collaborate with others from diverse backgrounds
● Polish their professional etiquette skills
● Have access to an ever‑growing Professional Development Video Library
While this is not required, we would like the oficers to complete this. It is relatively easy to
complete, and looks great on resumes and applications. We like to think of it as a “brief online
course.” This is for personal benefit, but we hope that if the officers set aside some time to do this,
members will feel motivated to complete it as well!
Our goal is to make this happen this year, but as a new chapter, we will only take on as much as we see fit.